Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Stores, Disney, and Princess Segregation.

I'm sure you have been out holiday shopping by now, and cruised past the disney barbie doll aisles, but did you happen to glance at the ethnic diversity. How about the lack there-of? Barbie at least has South Street Kimber and Puerto Rico Pride Tiffany. I mean, those types of dolls are awesome. Strangely stereotyped, maybe, but different nevertheless.

But seriously, I've seen every shape size and form of Snow White, Cinderella, Belle, and Sleeping Beauty. But where are my ethnic princesses at?

The only Mulan, Jasmine, Pocahontas's's's, I have seen for sale are the miniature "princess collection set" at kaybee toys (i didnt even know they((kaybee toys)) still existed) which contains the whole boat load of the princesses in a fun 1" plastic size.

Even down to the clothing lines at target, jcpenny, macy's, kohls, kmart, Ross, random stores throughout the mall, and of course wal-mart (i'd expect at least the hunchback of notre dame to be there).

I'm scared to go into the Disney store and see the Segregation going on in there too. But I would seriously doubt that they would do such a thing. They love all ethnic groups, especially pirates. Not so much ninjas, but at least they have pirates.

I might as well mention that I don't see princess Ariel getting any publicity either. Its not like i'm a Disney nut, but what do people have against red-heads? I do see little mermaid toys... mainly... flounder. But who the hell wants that? I'm talking about main characters here, not comic relief side kicks. Sheesh.

I mean, am I the only one to notice this?

I'd encourage you to go out and start asking questions. Seems to me that big chains are appealing to strictly a "white" crowd. Not cool the man, not cool.